Department Of Rheumatology
The department of Rheumatology at Pushpagiri Hospital deals with evaluation and medical management of patients with musculo skeletal disorders. This include a wide variety of conditions popularly known as ‘vatharogam‘ in Malayalam. It is widely believed in Kerala, that allopathic system does not offer a cure for these conditions. The fact is that there is considerable advancement in the treatment of these conditions and if treated earlier many diseases can be well controlled.
The following is a partial list of conditions that are dealt with in our department:
- Arthritis including inflammatory Arthritis like Rheumatoid, Psoriatic and non- inflammatory arthritis like Osteoarthritis and those associated with infections like Chikungunya.
- Systemic connective tissue disorders like lupus (SLE), scleroderma, sjogrens syndrome etc.
- Seronegative spondyloarthropathies like ankylosing spondylitis, reactive arthritis etc.
- Vasculitis including small, medium and large vessel vasculitis.
- Rheumatic disorders associated with metabolic (eg.Gout), endocrine, neoplastic and hematologic disorders
- Regional musculoskeletal disorders like tennis elbow, plantar fasciitis, fibromyalgia, back and neck pain (spondylitis).
- Childhood arthritis like Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis.
- Osteoporosis, which is affects the elderly.
- Miscellaneous disorders like Antiphospholipid syndrome, Behcet’s syndrome, autoinflmmatory disorders.
- The department has facility for specialized treatment like Biologics with patients of Rheumatoid arthritis, Psoriatic arthritis, Seronegative Spondyloarthropathy benefitting from the therapy.
- The department is supported by a dedicated Physiotherapy and Occupational Therapy team.
- Rheumatology OPD (Second Sunday of every month)
- Intrarticular injections
- Biologic Infusion Clinic
The department is led by Dr P. Madan Mohan, MD (Internal Medicine, Calicut), P. G. Dip. Rheumatology (Bath University, UK) who had training at the Royal National Hospital for Rheumatic Diseases in Bath, UK. He has also EULAR training in Musculoskeletal ultrasound and holds a certification in bone densitometry from the International osteoporosis foundation (Switzerland).